I’m going to make this post short and sweet.
These chipotle chicken flautas are the shiz nit. I loved them. Kevin loved them. And when we both can’t stop eating something, you know it’s good. Of course I want you to make all of the recipes I’ve posted this week for the Super Bowl, but if you have to pick one, I’d go with this gem.
Bone-in, skin on chicken thighs are slow-cooked in the Crockpot (either on high for four hours or low for seven) with a little bit of chipotle chili peppers, adobo sauce, and chicken bouillon until they’re juicy and literally falling off the bone. The meat is then shredded, wrapped up tight in a soft flour tortilla and baked until crispy and brown.
The avocado garlic sour cream sauce that is paired with these guys is equally as good as the flauta itself, proven by the fact that I was stealing spoonful after spoonful while they were baking. Avocado, sour cream, garlic, and lime juice are pulverized together in a small food processor or blender until creamy, garlicky and completely addictive. My eating method of choice consists of liberally spooning the avocado sour cream in the crevice of the flauta and then topping it off with just a touch of salsa – what I like to call the “perfect bite.”
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1½ tablespoons adobo sauce
- ½ chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cups of water
- 12 flour tortillas, taco size (may need more or less depending on how big your chicken thighs are)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- Juice of one small lime (two if they aren't very juicy)
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Water to thin sauce out
- Cilantro for garnish
- Place chicken thighs, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chicken boullion, and water in the bottom of a slow-cooker. Cook for four hours on high or seven to eight hours on low until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove chicken from liquid and shred, reserving ⅓ cup of the juices and chipotles that have accumulated in the slow-cooker.
- Discard remaining cooking liquid. Mix with shredded chicken.
- Place about ⅛ to ¼ cup of chicken in the middle of each flour tortilla, roll tortilla making sure to wrap tightly. Place seam side down on a non-stick rimmed baking sheet. (You can also secure with toothpicks).
- Bake until crispy and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- To make sauce: Combine sour cream, avocado, lime juice garlic clove, and salt in the bottom of a mini food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. If thinner consistency is desired add one tablespoon of water or milk at a time until desired consistency is reached.