I’m a sucker for a party, especially when it’s to celebrate the arrival of a sweet baby — a baby boy to be specific! David of Spiced Blog and his wife Laura are expecting their baby boy very soon, and what better way to celebrate than with food?!
I’ve only recently been introduced to David’s blog, and since I have, I literally can’t get enough. His approachable, delicious and gorgeous food gets me every time, so I’m honored to celebrate him and his soon-to-be little one today.
Since baby showers aren’t typically the most manly events on the planet, we’ve all come out with our most manly and hearty dishes to share, and of course when I think “manly,” my mind automatically gravitates towards a burger.
This particular burger is a sort of fancier take on a classic mushroom swiss burger piled high with bourbon-laced mushrooms, nutty gruyere cheese and copious layers of super crispy bacon.
Except I left out the most important piece of the puzzle — the burger itself. Now, just because grilling season is quickly fleeting, and in some states, already gone completely, that doesn’t mean burgers are something of the past and only to be remembered come May when the last snow has fallen.
While summertime has us throwing our patties on a a gas or charcoal grill, the cold temperatures allow a different, equally delicious cooking option – searing. Typically I’ll just cook my patties up in a cast iron skillet without any oil, but I used a lean cut of beef in this case so I could cook the burgers up in brown butter…which as we all know by now, makes everything better.
So, buttered onion egg buns + brown butter seared beef patties + gooey melted gruyere cheese + bourbon mushrooms + bacon = pretty much the best burger on the planet….
Be sure to check out all the other recipes made by some awesome food bloggers!!
Something Amazing by Real Food By Dad
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons worchestire sauce
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup bourbon
- 8 ounces shredded gruyere cheese
- 4 onion buns, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until crispy, about 12-15 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Mix beef with worchestire sauce and 1 teaspoons salt. Divide ground beef into four portions. Form into patties and make an indentation in the center of each patty.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet to a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter, add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until golden brown and cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add bourbon, and cook until reduced, about 1-2 minutes. Add remaining salt. Toss and transfer to a bowl or plate.
- Add remaining butter to the pan over a medium-high heat. Once the butter begins to brown, swirl the pan until it's nutty and a deep golden brown. Add patties and cook until seared and cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side for medium. Right before the burgers are done cooking, evenly divide cheese between patties, cover the skillet until the cheese has melted.
- Place patty on toasted bun, top with mushrooms and bacon.