This Healthy Chopped Buffalo Chicken Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing is the perfect way to enjoy game day without overindulging. Plus, who doesn’t love buffalo?!
I never understood the all-consuming affection towards buffalo flavored everything practically every person on the planet has, until I tried buffalo chicken dip for the first time. One crisp celery stick in, and I couldn’t stop myself from loitering over the crockpot and inhaling more than my fair share of the creamy, tangy, spicy goodness.
I try to be rather conservative in my buffalo creations, aka, I try not to smother you with different renditions of it constantly, but with the “big game” coming up in the next month, I found it only appropriate to give you at least one. And bonus?? It’s healthy!
Bite-sized pieces of chicken are marinated in plenty of Frank’s buffalo sauce, cooked up in a little bit of olive oil, and then tossed in more of the hot stuff.
The salad portion of the mix includes all your favorite buffalo wing accouterments – chopped celery, carrot, red onion, and of course, plenty of crumbled blue cheese – tossed with a medley of greens. Everything is drizzled with a low-fat buttermilk blue cheese dressing, the cooked chicken is piled high on top, and the salad is sprinkled with a touch more blue cheese crumbles.
Bring on the big game!
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoons hot sauce
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayo
- 3 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ¾ cup chopped tomato
- 8 ounces mixed greens, chopped
- Add chicken tenders to a bowl and toss with ½ cup of hot sauce. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- Add buttermilk, mayo, yogurt, salt, 3 ounces blue cheese and lemon juice to a mason jar, secure lid and shake vigorously until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Chill with the chicken.
- Once the chicken has marinated for one hour, heat a large non-stick skillet to a medium-high heat and add chicken, cook 1-2 minutes per side. Let cool slightly and chop into bite-sized pieces, toss in remaining hot sauce.
- Toss remaining salad ingredients together. Right before serving toss with half of the dressing. Add more if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Top with chopped chicken and crumbled blue cheese.