This post is going to be short and sweet.
Yesterday, I talked about my crazy busy schedule this past week and my early morning flight to New York to visit my BFF Jackie. I was planning on getting some blogging done on the plane ride out to New York, but as I was reaching for my computer an unruly flight attendant glared my way and scolded me like a child, announcing loudly that the captain did NOT give us permission to bring out our electronic devices yet…oops. After all the other passengers disapprovingly shook their heads, I sunk down in my seat and posted up the rest of the flight. That leaves me at Jackie’s scrambling to get today’s post off, while a smiling 10 week old baby is just a couple feet away looking cute as can be.
So… Yup, I’m not going to get much writing done. I’m sure you’ll forgive me after you’re done inhaling these chicken burgers that are not only delicious (duh!) but easy on the diet, which I’m all about lately.
This isn’t the first chicken burger I’ve shared here and it definitely won’t be the last. They have everything I love about a burger – juicy meat, a soft toasted bun, and whatever condiments your heart desires – minus the fat. I gussy the ground chicken breast up with grated onion, garlic, jalapeño, and red bell pepper. The patties are spiced up with a little blackening season and then sautéed until golden brown and juicy.
The best part of the ensemble?? The homemade mango salsa – unlike a typical mango salsa that’s served cold, this is served warm, making it almost sauce-like in its form. The perfect combination of sweet, salty and spicy.
Now, if you could please excuse me, I’ve got a baby calling my name.:)
- Burger Patties:
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ⅛ cup jalapeño, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons blackening seasoning , divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- Mango Salsa:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks, thawed
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced (or more if you want more spice)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For Patties: In a medium bowl combine chicken, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, green onion, jalapeño and salt. Mix until incorporated. Form into four equal patties. Sprinkle each patty on top and bottom with one teaspoon blackening season. Heat a large non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Cook patties until done all the way through, about five minutes per side. BE SURE TO NOT OVERCOOK!
- For Mango Salsa: In a small saucepan, combine olive oil, mango, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon jalapeño, and vinegar. Turn the heat on medium, when the mixture begins to sizzle turn it back to down to a simmer, cook until mangos begin to break down, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining jalapeno, cilantro, pinch of salt, and juice of lemon. Serve with burgers warm or at room temperature