These Coconut Curry Meatballs require minimal ingredients, but have SO much flavor. They’re packed with garlic, ginger, onion and cilantro, browned until crisp, and bathed in a luscious coconut curry sauce. Only 30 minutes from start to finish!
Finally! I have a recipe for you that’s not soup. What is the world coming to??
However, this is still one of those feel-good meals that instantly makes your internal temperature just a little bit warmer, even in the absence of steaming broth. This is due in part to the fact that all meatballs are comfort food, and therefore, the perfect thing to eat on a cold winter day. But it’s also because the irresistible coconut curry sauce packs a slight punch, leaving your tastebuds just a little tingly after each bite. And your cheeks a little rosy as well.
Curry paste has become one of those versatile ingredients I almost always keep on hand. I find myself reaching towards some sort of coconut curry sauce on the fly, just about every week. I’ve made it so much, it’s become almost second nature, so I can throw a pretty stellar one together with just about any combination of ingredients I have on hand.
Today’s Coconut Curry Sauce ingredient list
- red curry paste (always keep this in your pantry – trust me)
- coconut milk
- peanut butter
There’s obviously a minimal amount of ingredients, but a maximum amount of flavor, which is always the best kind of recipe to have in your back pocket. And my personal favorite to serve when impromptu dinner plans arise.
The meatballs have an equal amount of minimal ingredients including ground pork, plenty of salt, ginger, onion and cilantro. There’s also just enough breadcrumbs to bind everything together, and a touch of milk to keep everything nice and moist, despite the addition of bread. The breadcrumbs also facilitate in keeping the meatballs super soft and tender, because there’s nothing worse than a meatball resembling a hockey puck.
How to make Coconut Curry Meatballs
- Add pork, salt, onion, ginger, cilantro, bread crumbs and milk to a bowl.
- Use your hands to gently form the mixture into meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs in a little bit of oil. Canola, olive, coconut – whatever.
- Take the meatballs out and sauce the onion ad garlic.
- Add the curry paste, cook for one minute. Add the coconut milk, agave, salt, and peanut butter.
- Simmer until thickened, then add the meatballs back in to cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, chopped cilantro and unsweetened coconut.
- Swap out the agave for honey if that’s what you’ve got.
Things I love about this recipe
- As aforementioned, there’s minimal ingredients for the amount of flavor you get
- Everything is cooked in one pot.
- Fast! From start to finish, this takes about 30 minutes. Especially if you buy frozen brown rice, like I did.
- Toddler, baby, and husband approved!
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Do NOT over mix the meatball mixture. If you over mix, you risk dense, hard meatballs.
- When browning, the meatballs should naturally release when they are brown, try not to turn them before.
- You can use full-fat or low-fat coconut milk
- If you’re in a bind, heavy cream can also work in place of coconut milk
- Ground beef, ground turkey or chicken will also work in place of pork.
- If you like your sauce on the sweeter side, use more agave!
- If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash of chicken stock at the end.
What to serve with Coconut Curry Meatballs
Coconut Curry Meatballs
These Coconut Curry Meatballs require minimal ingredients, but have SO much flavor. They're packed with garlic, ginger, onion and cilantro, browned until crisp, and bathed in a luscious coconut curry sauce. Only 30 minutes from start to finish!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 small onion, divided (1/2 grated for meatballs, 1/2 sliced for sauce)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated and divided
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- brown rice
Add ground pork, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 small grated onion, ginger, 1 grated garlic clove, cilantro, bread crumbs and milk to a bowl. Use hands to mix until combined. Do not over mix! Use a small cookie scoop to form into meatballs. You should get about 21-23 meatballs.
Heat oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Once oil is hot, add meatballs. Cook until brown on top and bottom, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion, sauté until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, cook another 30 seconds. Add curry paste, cook 30 seconds. Whisk in coconut milk, agave, remaining salt, and peanut butter. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 7-8 minutes.
Add meatballs back to the sauce and simmer another 2-3 minutes. Garnish with more cilantro, and coconut. Serve with brown rice.