I’ve said before that I’m not really a dessert person, per se, although I’ve been increasingly enjoying sweet treats as I get older. With that being said, one thing that I have always loved is chocolate wrapped around pretty much anything. Frozen chocolate covered bananas were something I discovered a while ago and immediately took to them. I love that I can have two or three and feel totally satisfied and not tempted to break into the stash of cupcakes I made the other day, twenty minutes later. It’s not a sugar or fat laden treat like a cake or cookie so you can (surprise!) actually feel good about eating them. Win!
The thing is, this recipe is so simple, I almost can’t even call it a recipe – it’s that easy. Literally, all it consists of, is sliced bananas dipped in a mixture of melted chocolate and paraffin wax (I explained the use of paraffin wax in chocolate coating here) and sprinkled with some chopped peanuts. I use a dark or semi-sweet chocolate, but that’s just my preference, you can also use milk chocolate, white chocolate or whatever you wish.
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- 2 bananas, sliced ½ inch thick on a bias
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce paraffin wax, chopped
- ½ cup chopped peanuts, roasted and salted peanuts
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine chocolate and wax in a small saucepan. Turn the heat on a very low heat and slowly melt chocolate stirring constantly. When the chocolate and wax is almost all the way melted take off the heat and stir until completely melted. Coat bananas in chocolate and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and place in the freezer until frozen, about two hours. Transfer to a freezer safe zip-lock baggie. Can be stored for 3 months.