I really really wish I could eat this pizza today. Since I’ve been on quite the eating binge lately that started with this monster of a day, I’m restricting myself to a diet starting… now.
Or maybe after I eat the sesame bagel staring at me…yep, that sounds much better.
This pizza is all about the sauce, and yes it sort of appears to be a traditional tomato based sauce, but it’s not! It’s actually pureed roasted red peppers. It’s been a while since I’ve talked about roasted red peppers, but I’m pretty much obsessed with the flavor of them. I am especially obsessed with the flavor of pureed roasted red peppers (yes, it tastes different), almost to the point where I could literally drink the stuff – and perhaps I have…
I’ve used pureed peppers for soup, pasta and hummus, so why not pizza sauce?? Ugh. So ridiculously good. The sauce gives the pizza a slightly sweet flavor with a just hint of smoke, and is the perfect vessel for a topping of tangy goat cheese, slightly spicy Italian sausage and nutty caramelized onions. Which, in my opinion are the perfect pizza toppings.
Now normally, I’d still eat this on a diet, because really it isn’t all that bad for you. Yes, there’s crust, but you could go whole-wheat if you wanted, the sausage is chicken (Trader Joe’s), there’s a scant amount of cheese AND the sauce is super low in fat and calories. BUT because I’m on an apples-smoothies-broth-only diet, I’m going to have to refrain for a week or so. Ugh.
- 1 pound of your favorite pizza dough
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cooked chicken Italian sausage links, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees and place pizza stone in oven. In a small saucepan over a medium flame, melt butter. Add in sliced onions. Cook until golden brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally, about ten minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and then set aside. Heat the same pan to a medium-high heat and brown sliced sausage. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine roasted red peppers, cream cheese salt and pinch of pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Roll out pizza dough on a pizza wheel covered with cornmeal to prevent sticking. Spread with sauce, and then sprinkle with caramelized onions, chicken sausage and goat cheese. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Slide pizza onto stone and bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.