Swap out those expensive pre-made deli sandwiches at your next baby shower, lunch or brunch for our super easy but impressive Cold Ham and Cheese Sandwiches.
Ham and Cheese Sandwich
I am a sucker for a deli sandwich. Turkey and cheese, Italian with capicola, ham and cheese – you name it, I like it. I love to pack mine to the brim with red-wine laced lettuce, avocado and all the fixings. Our Ham and Cheese Sandwich is no different. Slightly more elevated than your average ham and Swiss on simple sandwich bread, ours is layered with tangy dijon mustard, good-quality black forest ham, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, and lettuce. It’s smothered with a ridiculously easy pesto mayo and nestled between two flaky croissant halves.
While they aren’t our every day sandwich, it’s my go-to whenever I’m hosting a casual lunch event for a large crowd – baby showers, birthdays oh my! The sandwiches can be made up to a day in advance or even packed up for a park picnic lunch.
Ingredients in our Cold Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Pesto. Try to get a store-bought pesto in the refrigerator section, they tend to be fresher and tastier.
Mayo. I like to use a light may because when you combine it with pesto you truly can’t taste the difference.
Ham. I always use Boar’s Head deli meat and try to use their simplicity products as well.
Roasted red pepper. I’ll either use roasted red pepper or I love using sliced peppadew peppers.
Shredded lettuce. I’m classic when it comes to deli sandwiches so we go with shedded romaine lettuce.
Red wine vinegar. I’m not sure how many locations there across the country are but our favorite sub sandwich is Mr. Goodcents. Their standard dressing comes with shredded lettuce drizzled with red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. I can’t have a sandwich without now.
Provolone. I grew up with provolone on my sub sandwiches so that’s what I go with but every now and then when I’m feeling indulgent I love to sneak in a smear of boursin cheese.
Croissant. Any size buttery croissant works here!
Let’s make Cold Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Make the pesto. Mix equal parts pesto and mayo. Season with salt and pepper. Done!
Dress the lettuce with red wine vinegar. Toss. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Toss again.
Layer! Spread the croissant with pesto mayo on both sides. Take three pieces of ham and layer it on top of the mayo. I like to add height by layering the ham vertically along the croissant. Cover with roasted red pepper. Top with a piece of cheese. Sprikle with lettuce. Cover with the top piece of croissant.
Can I make these in advance?
Yes! Store in an airtight container up to one day in advance. However, wait to top with lettuce until just before serving.
- Use any type of bread! Hoagie bread, hearty whole-grain bread, or sourdough would work great.
- Crumble a little boursin cheese on top of the roasted red pepper for a little creaminess and indulgent.
- Add in thinly sliced prosciutto, salami or turkey.
- Use swiss, aged cheddar or YOUR favorite cheese
- 1/2 cup store-bought pesto
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb good quality black forrest ham
- 1 1/2 cups sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 cup potato chips (optional)
- 8 slices slices provolone cheese
- 8 large croissants
- In a small bowl, mix the pesto and mayo. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce to another small bowl, drizzle with red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Toss.
- Spread the croissant halves with pesto mayo. Take three pieces of ham and layer it on top of the mayo. I like to add height by layering the ham vertically along the croissant. Cover with a few slices of roasted red pepper. Top with a piece of cheese. Sprikle with lettuce. Place a few potato chips on top for crunch. Cover with the top piece of croissant.