It’s time to detox with a salad.
I don’t know about you, but this last week I consumed an aggregate caloric intake of about 8,000 over three days and ate my weight in grams of fat via copious amounts of cheesecake.
My pants are starting to get tight, my ring is becoming one with my finger, and my face is getting puffy… All surefire signs that I need to start watching what goes into my body.
What I really need to do is one of those three day cleanses, but I’m going to ease myself into healthy eating and start with salads.
But not just any kind of salad.
Salads that are actually filling… Do they exist?
Yes, yes they do!
My favorite kinds of salads require the following;
It doesn’t matter what kind of cheese, fruit, protein or crunchy ingredient it is, but this combination always fulfills me in place of a full meal.
Today, we have fruit in the form of peaches and grapes – weird combo, I know, but I had this medley the other day and LOVED it. Cheese in the form of stinky blue. Protein and crunch in the form of pecan crusted chicken strips.
Tangy apple cider vinaigrette tops the whole thing off for a complete ensemble cast.
I do realize that cheese is sort of counterproductive when it comes to healthy eating, but a harmless, tiny bit of cheese never hurt anyone – plus I heard it prevents cancer or something like that…I’ll believe anything if it means I can eat more cheese.
Bring on the salads!
- 2 chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and cut into strips
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 peaches, cheeks cut off and cubed
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 2.5 ounces blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse pecans, breadcrumbs, brown sugar and ½ teaspoon salt until pecans are crushed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk egg whites and one tablespoon water together until whites are light and frothy. Dip chicken in egg, then in pecan mixture. Coat and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through, until chicken is brown and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and sugar, slowly whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce with dressing, grapes and peaches. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with blue cheese and pecan crusted chicken.