Thank you to Jones Dairy Farm for sponsoring today’s Croissant Breakfast Sandwich – our favorite spicy,
drippy, messy perfect way to do breakfast.
Spicy Sausage Croissant Breakfast Sandwich
Breakfast is my jam. There isn’t a day I go without it even if that means it’s a quick piece of toast haphazardly slathered with peanut butter or a handful of a granola as I walk out the door. On days I’m feeling slightly more ambitious I’ll whip up our favorite Blueberry Pancakes, a fancy Avocado Toast, or a version of our Sausage Croissant Breakfast Sandwich.
The current version is my sandwich take on a tex-mex breakfast with a salsa infused cream cheese, a drippy fried egg, peppery arugula, green chiles, a turkey sausage patty and a flaky croissant.
Unlike some of my boring breakfast I whip up on the fly, the Croissant Breakfast Sandwich is something I anticipate with bated breath before bedtime. If you’re one of those people who are always daydreaming about your next meal, then you know where I’m coming from. The spicy cream cheese, salty sausage, and buttery croissant are all items I adore on their own, but the combination of the trio? To die for. Aside from a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit, this is as good as a breakfast sandwich gets.
I’ll often make up a batch of salsa cream cheese to have on hand for bagels and we always have Jones Dairy Farm breakfast sausage in our freezer for easy breakfasts. Grabbing a box of croissants from our favorite bakery and frying up a few eggs doesn’t take much effort on my end, but even if you don’t follow in my footsteps, you’ll find making the sandwiches still requires you to purchase very minimal ingredients and doesn’t take much time.
Croissants. Even though I love to pick up artisan croissants from our local bakery, anything your go-to grocery store has in their bakery section will work great.
Eggs. We use one large egg per sandwich.
Cream Cheese. Any cream cheese will do aside from fat-free. I’ll often use low-fat and when mixed with other ingredients, can’t tell the difference.
Salsa. This is where your personal preference comes in. We like to use a hot salsa, but if you like things on the mild side, use your favorite store-bought salsa.
Sausage. When it comes to sausage, well anything, our go-to is Jones Dairy Farm. We’ve used their products time and time again and their All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage patties are perfect for a breakfast sandwich. As always they’re certified gluten free with no fillers, binders, preservatives or MSG.
I love that they’re turkey because they have 75% less fat than a pork sausage and still have six grams of protein per patty. I also love that they’re fully cooked, so all I have to do is pull them out of the freezer and quickly reheat them on the stove.
Green Chiles. You could add the green chiles to the cream cheese, but I like to sprinkle them on top of the eggs instead. Get the green chiles in the can, either mild or hot depending on your heat tolerance.
Arugula. Because arugula is naturally sort of peppery, it’s the perfect green to pair with the tex-mex influenced croissant breakfast sandwich. Spinach also works if you don’t like the taste of arugula.
Let’s make Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches
Make the spicy cream cheese. Add the cream cheese and salsa to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Fry the eggs. I like to use a really good non-stick pan so I don’t have to add much fun to fry the eggs. Here I only used about two teaspoons of olive oil to fry the eggs. I also wanted the egg to stay nice and over easy, so I skipped flipping the egg over and instead spooned some of the hot oil over the top of the egg to fully cook the egg white.
Don’t forget to sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper. Seasoning every layer of the croissant breakfast sandwich is key to a perfect bite.
Cook the sausage. Add the Jones Dairy Farm sausage to the same pan you cooked the eggs. In. If they’re frozen, cook them over a medium heat for about 3 minutes per side. If they’re already defrosted, you’ll only need 1-2 minutes per side.
Assemble. If you want, you can toast your croissant a little bit, but in this particular recipe, I like to leave the croissant as is for softer sandwich.
Spread a little bit of the salsa cream cheese on both sides of the croissant. Layer some arugula on the bottom half of the croissant. Top with two sausage patties followed by a fried egg. Sprinkle with a tablespoon or so of green chiles. Cover with the top croissant. Dig in!
Breakfast Croissant Sandwich filling Ideas
I love this sandwich as is, but here are some other options:
- Add chopped black olives and jalapenos to the cream cheese
- Slide in slice of pepper jack cheese or a sprinkle of cotija
- Sliced avocado
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- To save calories, swap out the croissant for an English muffin or hearty piece of whole-grain toast
- Use a good non-stick pan to fry the eggs so you don’t have to add too much extra oil
- We love how an un-toasted croissant yields a really messy breakfast sandwich, but if you like something sturdy try toasting the croissant in the oven.
- Make sure to grab a napkin, these babies are messy!
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp salsa (your favorite)
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Patties
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canned green chiles
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 large croissants, split in half
- Non-stick skillet
- Add cream cheese and salsa to a small bowl. Mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to a medium-high heat. Add sausage patties. Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and warmed though. Set aside.
- If using, add olive oil to the same skillet. Once the oil is hot, crack eggs in to the skillet, one by one, leaving room between each egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you like your eggs sunny-side up, after the egg sets, spoon a little bit of the oil over the top of the egg white to cook it. Otherwise, flip the egg over for over-easy or over-medium.
- Slather the salsa cream cheese on the inside of all the halves of the croissant. On the bottom halves, arrange the arugula. Top with two sausage patties, followed by an egg. Sprinkle with green chiles. Cover with tip croissant. Serve!