Not your average avocado toast! This Best Avocado Egg Salad Toast is layered with lemon-y smashed avocado, a simplified egg salad, and everything bagel seasoning. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or snacks!
Best Avocado Egg Salad Toast
These days, it seems every hip breakfast joint and bumping lunch spot has their own version of avocado toast. Maybe you do too. But then again, maybe you don’t. Maybe you happily shell out $12 for that perfect Instagram-worthy masterpiece, and don’t even realize you could be doing it yourself at home.
Which is exactly why I thought you might like to see my version. One that happens to rival the prettiness of those $12 toasts, and also rivals the bang for you buck as well.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Your favorite exceedingly grainy whole-wheat toast (I was recently gifted this brand and I’m in LOVE)
- Smashed avocado laced with lemon juice, salt, and pepper
- Hard-boiled eggs, chopped, and tossed with a touch of mayo, dijon and salt. Basically a fussed-down version of egg salad.
- A sprinkling of everything bagel seasoning.
The Perfect Breakfast
This my friends, is my idea of breakfast/snack/lunch heaven. Despite the ease of preparation, the flavors are complex and DELICIOUS. It’s filling, but light, which is always what I’m wanting in the morning. And for those of you who are suckers for something pretty, well, it’s obvious to see this is P-R-E-T-T-Y.
I like to keep the avocado pretty straight forward. All I need is a little bit of acid and tanginess from lemon juice, plenty of salt, and just a touch of pepper. I also like to keep a little bit of texture in it, so I don’t completely mash up the avocado. This is a personal choice. The taste, obviously, will be the same.
Like I stated before, the egg portion, is basically just a simplified version of my favorite egg salad. Because this recipe is all about simplicity, I opted out of some of my standard egg salad ingredients (pickles, dill, Worcestershire sauce). Instead I added just enough mayo to bind the yolks and whites together, a touch of dijon for little bit of spiciness (plus I think it compliments the lemon in the avocado perfectly), and again, plenty of salt and a little bit of pepper.
Once all the ingredients are piled on top, a final dusting of everything bagel seasoning finishes it off.
Ways to take this completely over the top
- Sprinkle the top with chopped crispy bacon
- Grate fresh parmesan cheese on top
- Truffle salt. Need I say more?
- Nestle smoked salmon on top of the avocado, then top with egg salad
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Use whatever toast floats your boat, just make sure it’s sturdy enough to stand up to the rest of the components.
- Swap out dijon for regular mustard
- Swap out lime juice for lemon in a pinch
- If you don’t have everything bagel seasoning, mix a little bit of granulated garlic, onion, salt, sesame seed, and poppy seed together.
Breakfast things to serve with Avocado Toast
- 2 eggs
- 3 pieces thick whole-grain bread
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt for seasoning
- 1 tsp. light mayo
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp everything bagel seasoning
- Add eggs to a medium saucepan. Fill with water. Make sure eggs are covered. Bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Drain and peel eggs. Cool for 1 minute.
- While eggs boil, add avocado, lemon juice and a big pinch of salt to a small bowl. Use a fork to mash. Add a little bit of pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread.
- Dice eggs and add to a small bowl. Add mayo, dijon, and a big pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado on toast. Top with egg salad. Sprinkle with everything seasoning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 687mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g