A funny thing happened today.
I totally forgot that Halloween is tomorrow. 12 year old Nicole would NEVER forget about Halloween. Shame on me!
I realize that since it is Halloween, I should probably have a clever little Halloween recipe, but I don’t. Although, this recipe does have orange cheese, is devilishly delicious, and might scare you with a little bit of heat. That sorta counts, right? I think so.
With that said, let me introduce you to my latest “Halloween” snack attack creation.
Chipotle Cheese Fries.
You know what’s even better than the fact that these are scrumptiously addictive. They’re also easy as can be. And when I say easy, I mean E-A-S-Y. I promise.
I use (gasp) frozen french fries from the grocery store and throw a quick cheesy sauce together with just four ingredients – shredded cheese, corn starch, evaporated milk, and chipotle chili powder.
Make these for your next football party or just make them because you feel like it, that’s what I did.
You’ll first want to get your fries into the oven… or if you are my fiancé into the deep fryer. The choice is yours. (I like the oven for obvious health reasons)
Now, make the cheese sauce. Toss the shredded cheese and cornstarch together in the bottom of a medium saucepan.
Next, add the evaporated milk. Turn the stove on to a medium low heat and slowly melt the cheese.
Add in your chipotle chili powder… add a little bit more if it’s not spicy enough. That’s it. Easy, right?
Now assemble the fries. Place half of the fries on the bottom of the serving dish.
Pour ½ the sauce over the fries.
Top with the rest of the fries and the rest of the cheese sauce.
Top off with some chopped cilantro and mexican crema (or sour cream thinned out with a little water or milk). Dig in!
- ½ package frozen crinkle french fries
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- ¼ teaspoon + ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Mexican Crema (or sour cream thinned out with some water or milk)
- Cook fries according to package directions. (Bake or fry)
- Toss cheese with cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add milk. Turn stove on to a medium-low heat and slowly melt cheese. Add chipotle powder. Sauce is done when cheese is melted and silky smooth. Season with salt and more chipotle powder if necessary.
- Layer half of the fries on a serving platter. Cover with half of the cheese sauce. Top with remaining fries and cover with remaining cheese sauce.
- Garnish with lots of cilantro and creama or sour cream.