My good friend Kelly informed me via Twitter that today is National Hot Dog Day – go figure, they’ve got a holiday for everything don’t they? Quite a coincidence since I just happened to have a hot dog recipe in my archives, just waiting for the right moment to make an appearance.
You may think, why on earth would I care about a recipe for a….. hot dog? While yes, a plain grilled hot dog with a little ketchup and mustard haphazardly slapped across the top isn’t really “blog worthy,” this one most certainly is. And hey, a gal can’t eat fancy steak sandwiches or fresh pasta all the time, right?
Super sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese and jalapenos are pulverized together in the food processor to form a spread of sorts, then grilled hot dogs are slathered with the concoction and topped off with copious amounts of salty bacon, sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
The best hot dog you’ll ever eat, I guarantee it.
Side note. We also used the same topping on mini hamburger sliders and they were seriously outrageous. (You can see them just a little bit in the background)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon
- 2-3 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 8 hot dog buns
- Place cheeses, chopped jalapeños and garlic powder in the bottom of a food processor. (I used a mini). Pulse until everything is combined.
- Brown bacon, crumble into small pieces.
- Grill hot dogs. Spread with cheese and jalapeno mixture. Sprinkle with bacon, jalapenos and cilantro.
Leave a Comment