Broccoli Fried Rice is the perfect way to get your family to eat their veggies! This easy fried rice is DELICIOUS, healthy, and hearty due to the addition of brown rice, tender broccoli, and just enough sesame oil to crisp up the edges.
Broccoli Fried Rice
While I’d love to say this Broccoli Fried Rice is my new favorite way to eat my most beloved green veggie, it’s still on an equal playing level as this Broccoli Ramen Salad and this Alfredo and Broccoli Pizza. Because unlike the general population, I adore broccoli in pretty much any way, shape or form I can get it, so it’s nearly impossible for me to choose favorites.
It’s not uncommon for me to inhale a whole head of roasted broccoli on my own, but my husband and kiddos?? They don’t share the same sentiments. But because I also want them to reap the health benefits of a diet full of fiber, vitamin E, calcium and magnesium, (and maybe coerce a similar love), I sneak it in where I can.
Broccoli Fried Rice is the perfect way to get your families to eat this healthy green veggie without any complaint. Because the tender broccoli is chopped until it resembled rice, it blends perfectly with cooked brown rice – another great source of fiber.
We make it basically the same way, we make our Easy Fried Rice with Egg and our Quinoa Fried Rice, with just enough oil to crisp up the veggies and rice without saturing it. We also throw in chopped onion, carrots, and my favorite, plenty of scrambled egg.
Ingredients in Broccoli Fried Rice
Brown Rice. You could really use any rice here, but I love the nuttiness of brown rice. I either use leftover brown rice for this recipe, or I’ll cook it up earlier in the day, and let it cool in the fridge. The key to fried rice is COLD rice. If the rice is hot, the individual rice granules won’t crisp up. I will also sometimes use frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s. It cooks in three minutes and you can chill it in the freezer or fridge while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
I will also sometimes use quick-cooking brown jasmine rice from Trader Joe’s as well.
Broccoli. You’ll need three cups of roughly chopped fresh broccoli. I have not tried this with frozen broccoli, so I can’t say if it would work out or not. Sorry!
Sesame oil. Instead of using a neutral oil like canola, I prefer to use sesame oil to add more flavor.
Onion and garlic.
Carrot. To add to this veggie heavy broccoli fried rice, I like to add in chopped carrot as well. You can buy shredded carrots or chop whole or baby carrots. I’ve also used frozen diced carrots as well.
Soy sauce. Low-sodium, tamari or regular soy sauce all work great!
Garlic powder. Even though we add fresh garlic, garlic powder adds slightly more garlic flavor that I love.
Egg. For me, no fried rice is complete without a little bit of scrambled egg. It’s must!
Green onion. This is an optional ingredient, but I like the freshness green onion adds to the broccoli fried rice. I add it in at the end, just before serving.
How to make Broccoli Fried Rice
Cook the rice. It’s very important for the rice to be cold before cooking. If you can, cook the rice the day before and store in the fridge until you’re ready to use. If you don’t remember (this often happens to me), I cook the rice first, spread on a baking sheet and pop into the freezer until it’s chilled. I also like to buy Trader Joe’s 3-minute rice. All you have to do is pop it into the microwave for three minutes and it’s done. Spread on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge or freezer while you prep the ingredients.
Chop the broccoli. Place the broccoli florets in the food processor and pulse until they resemble a rice-like texture. Be sure to watch is carefully because, if you process too far, then you’re on your way to pesto, but if you process it too little, then those indistinguishable grains of broccoli become chunks of green your child will refuse to eat. If you like texture, then by all means, go for it.
Stir-fry the broccoli. Heat a large wok or non-stick pan to a high heat. Add a little bit of sesame oil along with the onion, garlic, and carrots. Stir-fry until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
Add in a little bit more sesame oil and add the broccoli. Continue to sauté until the broccoli softens, about 3-4 minutes.
Cook the rice. Once again, add in a little bit more sesame oil along with the cooked (and cooled brown rice). Continue to stir-fry until the rice is coated in the oil. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
Add the soy sauce. Once the rice is coated in the oil, drizzle in the soy sauce and garlic powder. Continue toss and stir-fry the rice until the soy sauce has evenly coat the rice.
Scramble the egg. For me, fried rice isn’t complete without a scrambled egg scattered throughout, so I make a well in the center of the mixture to cook the egg, then toss it all together.
Finish it off! Toss in the green onions and then sprinkle a little bit of sesame seeds over the top then season with salt and pepper to finish it off.
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Use whatever veggies you want here! Baby corn, water chestnuts, peas, anything would be a great addition.
- Use any brown rice. Brown jasmine rice, quick-cooking jasmine rice, frozen brown rice, and traditional short-grain brown rice all work great.
- Feel free to add in sautéed shrimp or chicken.
What to serve with Broccoli Fried Rice
- Our Hunan Shrimp is simple, spicy, and would pair great with this Broccoli Fried Rice.
- Another great shrimp option is this General Tso Shrimp – sweet, spicy, and saucy!
- To keep things super healthy, try our Sweet and Sour Baked Salmon. It will cook in the oven while you cook the rice on the stove. Perfect pairing.
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (fresh)
- 3 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- Large non-stick skillet
- Add broccoli to a food processor. Pulse until broccoli resembles rice. Do not over process!
- Heat a large wok or non-stick pan to a high heat. Add 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Once the oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to stir-fry veggies until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add another two teaspoons of sesame oil and add broccoli. Again, season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Continue to stir-fry 3-4 minutes until broccoli begins to cook. Add remaining oil followed by rice. Continue to use the wooden spoon to stir-fry the mixture for another 2 minutes or until the veggies are all cooked.
- Drizzle in soy sauce and sprinkle with garlic powder. Continue to cook another 2-3 minutes until sauce has coated all the rice and veggies. Reduce the heat to medium and make a well in the center of the mixture. Crack an egg in the middle and use the spoon to scramble the egg. Mix in to the rice.
- Add green onions. Toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.