These Buffalo Chicken Nachos take classic buffalo chicken dip and turn them into game day-worthy nachos that are totally addictive.They’re topped with a blue cheese grizzle, plenty of sliced green onion, and ready for digging in!
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
I feel like there’s this unspoken rule in our house when it comes to football season – there must be buffalo chicken in some way, shape or form.
Case in point:
- Mozzarella –Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Burritos with Hatch Pepper Cream Sauce
- Baked Mini Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Five Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
This year, I wanted something easy. Something that doesn’t require eating utensils, and something even Teddy enjoys – which is exactly what these Buffalo Chicken Dip Nachos are. While I tend to devour all the pieces heavy in blue cheese laden sauce, Kevin likes to dig in to the pieces covered in spicy buffalo chicken. The few pieces that have only gooey Monterey jack cheese on them and no sauce are reserved for the little guy who prefers his nachos practically naked – which isn’t too far off from his everyday mantra.
Basically we have classic buffalo chicken dip spread over a layer of blue corn tortilla chips, covered in shredded cheese, and repeated. Layer everything up and pop in the oven just until the cheese melts.
Drizzle with blue cheese sauce, sprinkle with chopped green onions and celery and serve.
Game day heaven.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken Recipe
The topping is sort of a mix between a classic buffalo chicken and an easy buffalo chicken dip. Less dip, more oomph.
My method for buffalo chicken dip is pretty simple:
- Cook a little bit of celery in some butter.
- Add in a few cups of shredded rotisserie chicken (you could also cook up your own and shred it).
- Toss in plenty of Frank’s hot sauce and a few ounces of light cream cheese.
- Once the cream cheese melts and everything comes together, it’s either ready to be served in a bowl, or in today’s case, ready to be smothered over tortilla chips.
I wouldn’t label myself as a hot sauce connoisseur, but I do prefer Frank’s over any other. For me, it’s hot without completely incinerating my taste buds, and it has this awesome almost vinegar-like taste to it that I love. Kevin turned me on to it when we first started dating, and it’s been a fridge staple ever since.
Easy Blue Cheese Sauce
I know some people have strong feelings on blue cheese versus ranch when it comes to wings, we happen to be a house divided with Kevin leaning towards ranch and myself leaning towards blue cheese, but since I’m the one who prepares all the meals, blue cheese reigned supreme here.
The blue cheese sauce requires only two ingredients – blue cheese and heavy cream. – and couldn’t be easier to make. While the nachos are cooking, simmer the cream until thickened a bit. Whisk in crumbled blue cheese until it’s completely melted. Season with salt and pepper, and you’re good to go.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Place a layer of chips on the bottom of a small rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover with shredded cheese. Spread with shredded buffalo chicken, Drizzle with blue cheese sauce.
- Repeat process.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and the nachos are hot.
- Garnish with green onion and season with salt and pepper.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Nachos
Buffalo chicken dip meets classic Mexican dish in these Buffalo Chicken Dip Nachos. Blue corn tortilla chips are covered in a condensed buffalo chicken dip, smothered with mozzarella cheese and then drizzled with creamy blue cheese sauce.
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 6 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup crumbled gorgonzola, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a half baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Heat a medium skillet to a medium heat. Add butter and celery. Sweat celery until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Do not brown. Add shredded chicken, cream cheese and hot sauce. Stir until cream cheese has melted and the ingredients are mixed together. Turn heat off. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread half of the chips on the bottom of the pan. Dot half of chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Place the remaining chips on top, followed by the remaining chicken mixture and then remaining cheese. Pop into the oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted.
While nachos cook, add heavy cream to a very small saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add 1/8 cup of blue cheese. Whisk until cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
When cheese has melted on nachos, remove from oven. Drizzle with blue cheese sauce and sprinkle with green onion. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.