These Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels (Five ingredients) are the perfect party appetizer everyone will love. Smother fresh rotisserie chicken, Frank’s buffalo sauce, green onion and cream cheese on flour tortillas, roll them up, and cut into bite-sized bits of heaven!
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels (Five ingredients)
What happens when you combine a buffalo loving husband, a bottle of hot sauce and a dire need to whip up an appetizer in less than 20 minutes?
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels. Or Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups. Whatever you want to call them!
These are an ode to my very favorite potluck appetizer, cream cheese tortillas pinwheels. If I see them anywhere within a five-foot radius of me, I can’t help but down at least half a dozen or so.
Today’s version is stuffed with light cream cheese, Frank’s buffalo sauce, shredded chicken, and plenty of green onion. Like most pinwheels, these are rolled up in flour tortillas, cut into bite-sized slices and ready to be served.
At first glance, this recipe seems like it might be inching towards something a little too simple, but these little guys are – for lack of a better word – incredible.
Back in the day, I wouldn’t post the recipe here, because I was ALL about coming up with complicated, never-before-seen recipes, BUT I’ve had some requests for a few simple, quick dishes and these were snatched up so fast, I knew they needed to be shared.
What is it about buffalo that sucks everyone in? It’s almost like it has this magnetic pull, because even the snobbiest of food lovers out there seem to swoon over the stuff. I didn’t even know how much I loved buffalo sauce until Kevin requested I make him deep-fried hot wings back when we were first dating.
Transforming Cream Cheese Tortilla Pinwheels
I obliged, and even took notes from one of Kevin’s friends that he deemed “made the best wings EVER.” The simple recipe consisted of only flour, salt, cayenne pepper, butter and Frank’s Red hot sauce, and they were, as promised, the best wings EVER.
I’ve been an avid wing and buffalo lover ever since, throwing my snooty food attitude to the wind, and relishing in the fiery addiction. The possibilities are endless when it comes to variations on the buffalo wing, but more often than not, a recipe’s end result is something bubbling hot in nature.
So while buffalo chicken wings and buffalo chicken dip may perfect when at home entertaining, it doesn’t exactly bode well for outdoor tailgating.
Like I said before one of my biggest guilty pleasures at football parties and tailgates are those cream cheese tortilla pinwheels stuffed to the brim with cream cheese, black olive and jalapeños. It’s one of those finger foods I can just never say no to.
When I had less than 24 hours to plan a tailgate for the World Series a few years ago, and spotted a half-empty bottle of hot sauce and block of cream cheese in the fridge, I knew what needed to be done.
Buffalo chicken dip (Kev’s favorite) + tortilla pinwheels (my favorite) = the perfect game day snack.
With only five ingredients these suckers come together in under 20 minutes. You then give them a quick chill in the fridge which lets the cream cheese, chicken and hot sauce mixture solidify. Slice and watch your guests inhale.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Add softened cream cheese, hot sauce, green onions, and shredded chicken to a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Spread the filling evenly on four tortillas.
- Roll the tortillas up jell-roll style.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1/2-inch slices and serve!
What hot sauce should you use for buffalo chicken pinwheels?
I prefer Frank’s hot sauce, but honestly whatever you love best works great.
Can you make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels in advance?
Yes! And actually they NEED to made at least 30 minutes in advance. Because the cream cheese is soft and then we add hot sauce to that, the cream cheese needs to set back up in the fridge. It makes for much easier, less messy cutting. Just pull them out right before serving, slice them up and arrange on a platter.
Variations on Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Add in crumbled gorgonzola cheese to the mixture
- For more texture, add in chopped black olives, diced red pepper, shredded carrots, or finely chopped celery.
- Boursin cheese would also be delicious!
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature, otherwise it won’t spread easily over the tortillas.
- Chill the pre-sliced tortilla roll ups in the fridge, they’ll need to solidify after you assemble them.
- Use a VERY sharp knife to cut the pinwheels.
- Use low-fat or full-fat cream cheese, either works. Just DO NOT use non-fat!
- Serve with blue cheese dressing or ranch for dipping!
For more buffalo recipes for other , check out these posts:
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 6 oz softened light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- Mixing bowls
- Mix chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce and green onions in a medium bowl until combined. Evenly divide filling between the tortillas. Spread to the edges.
- Wrap tortillas up jelly-roll style. Pop into the fridge to chill for 30 mintues to an hour. If serving later, individually wrap rolls in plastic (before slicing) and chill in the fridge. Cut into 1/2-inch pinwheels when you're ready to serve. Garnish with sliced green onion.