Thank you to Oster for sponsoring the post for today’s Crispy Air Fryer Tacos.
Crispy Air Fryer Tacos
Let’s pause potatoes, turkeys and pumpkin everything for a little game day grub. Because even though the holidays are heavily on our minds, football is still happening in a very big way. When it comes to game day of course I will happily get down on buffalo chicken everything, layered dips and sliders. However I find my stomach needs a little bit of respite from those items so instead our game day grub this weekend will include these insanely easy Air Fryer Tacos and all things tex-mex.
With a creamy re-fried black bean, gooey cheese and chicken interior and an ultra crispy exterior shell (thanks to our Oster Countertop Air Fryer), these are what tacos dreams are made of.
Let’s get started.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Tacos
Tortillas. I wanted the texture of our air fryer tacos to be reminiscent of a crispy taquito so we went with corn tortillas. Try and grab corn tortillas of good quality. We used this local brand found at Whole Foods.
Chicken. We take a shortcut with shredded store-bought rotisserie chicken. You could also use leftover chicken or even turkey if it’s after the holiday.
Refried Beans. Another store-bought short cut. I like to use black refried beans, again a good quality brand. Your favorite regular refried beans will work great as well.
Green Chilies. To add a little hint of spice I like to spoon a little bit of diced canned green chili in each taco. If you want a little bit more heat use diced jalapeno.
Cheese. Originally I was looking for Oaxaca cheese to use in our Air Fryer Tacos but I couldn’t find it at my grocery store this time so I went with shredded pepper jack.
Non-stick cooking spray. Olive oil spray is essential to guaranteeing each taco gets super crispy during the air frying process. You could also brush each taco with olive oil but it will add a bit more fat and calories.
Let’s make Crispy Air Fryer Tacos
Prep Ingredients. Shred the chicken and cheese.
Heat the tortillas. Put the corn tortillas on a dish towel and wrap up. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute until warm and pliable. Keep in the towel to keep warm.
Assemble. Spread a heaping tablespoon of black beans on each half of each corn tortilla. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of cheese followed by a tablespoon of chicken. Sprinkle with green chilies. top with more cheese. Fold over and repeat with remaining tortillas.
Oster Digital RapidCrisp™ Air Fryer Oven.
Heat the air fryer. Today we’re using our go-to kitchen appliance brand Oster and their Digital RapidCrisp™ Air Fryer Oven. I love this guy for so many reasons but mostly because it has so many different functions. You can air fry (what we’re using today), bake, broil, dehydrate, convect or simply keep things warm while you prep other items.
The secret behind its efficiency is the Rapid Crisp Technology using cyclonic air flow. That continuous circulation provides a crispier end result up to 50% faster, and of course, you only have to use a teeny tiny bit of oil compared to multiple cups as you do in traditional deep frying.
While preheating isn’t always necessary I prefer to start with a super hot base for the tacos to rest on since they don’t flip over during the cooking process. A five minute preheat will work great.
Cook! Arrange three to four prepared tacos on the air fryer basket. Spray both sides with olive oil spray. Slide back into the oven and turn the air fryer function on. Cook for six minutes or until the cheese is melty and the tortillas are crisp on the edges. They will crisp up more as they cool. Repeat with the rest of the tacos.
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Be sure to spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Press the tortillas down firmly
- Check the air fryer tacos about three minutes into cooking and press them down again. The air circulation can sometimes cause the top of the tortillas to fly up.
- Sprinkle with salt and cilantro immediately after removing the tacos from the air fryer so it sticks.
- If you really don’t want to use corn tortillas you can use flour.
- Swap out pepper jack for Oaxaca, monterey jack or any other good melting cheese.
- Swap the green chilies for diced jalapenos.
- Regular or black refried beans will work great.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup refried black beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack
- 3/4 cup shredded chicken
- 4.5 oz canned green chiles
- non-stick olive oil spray
- sour cream, salsa and quac for dipping
- 1 Air fryer
- Prep the ingredients before beginning.
- Put the corn tortillas on a dish towel and wrap up. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute until warm and pliable. Keep in the towel to keep warm.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of black beans on one half of a corn tortilla. Sprinkle with a heaping tablespoon of cheese followed by a tablespoon of chicken. Sprinkle with a teaspoon or so of green chilies. Top with another tablespoon of cheese. Fold over and press down, repeat with remaining tortillas.
- While you make the rest of the tacos, heat the air fryer at 375 degrees for five minutes.
- Place three to four tacos in the basket of the air fryer. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Flip and spray the other side. Slide the tray back into air fryer. Cook for six minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crisp. Repeat with remaining tacos.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and guac.