When you need a quick, impossibly easy side dish, look no further than our Air Fryer Asparagus. Crispy but tender with hints of garlic and a fresh bite of citrus, the perfect veggie to add to your repertoire.
Air Fryer Asparagus
When something as simple as Air Fryer Asparagus makes your day, you know it needs to be shared with the world.
I thought I had tested nearly all foods but when a conversation with my aunt turned into a love fest about our all-time favorite things to air fry, her answered surprised me. It was asparagus.
There’s something about the circulation of air that transforms average asparagus into a crispy, beautiful oblivion in about five minutes. Serve with Chicken Piccata, our favorite Salmon Cakes or sprinkle it with parmesan and breadcrumbs and plate it alongside a couple 5-minute boiled eggs for a light lunch.
Either way, you make want to make a double or triple batch because you aren’t going to want to share.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Asparagus
Asparagus. I like a medium width so each asparagus spear gets crispy without becoming mushy. Pass on pencil-thin asparagus.
Olive oil spray. You don’t even need classic olive oil, simply reach for an olive oil spray to coat the asparagus spread.
Spices. Literally all you need is a little bit of kosher salt and garlic powder.
Lemon. Just before serving, squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top.
Let’s make Air Fryer Asparagus
Preheat the air fryer. While this step isn’t always necessary when roasted veggies I find it essential. Having a hot surface to lay the asparagus on and an already hot temperature, like the oven, ensures the asparagus get crispy versus soggy.
Coat in oil. Spray the asparagus with olive oil, toss to coat. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and any other spices you want to use.
Cook. Place the asparagus in the preheated air fryer. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the basket. If needed cook in batches. Turn the air fryer to 400 and cook for five minutes.
Garnish. Squeeze freeze lemon juice on top before serving. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Make sure to trim your asparagus properly. Take off an woodsy, tough ends.
- Air fryer asparagus is forgiving, if you overcook it, it will just be extra crispy. If you undercook it, it will have a lovely bite to it.
- Don’t overcoat the asparagus in oil, using an air fryer allows for very minimal oil
- grated parmesan cheese on top
- sprinkle with toasted pine nuts
- zest of a lemon or orannge
- sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs, garlic and cheese
- 1 lb asparagus (medium width)
- non stick cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees for five minutes.
- Take one asparagus spear and bend it. Let it break where it happens naturally. Use this as a guide to trim the rest of thee woodsy ends off the other asparagus.
- Add the asparagus to a shallow dish or plate. Spray generously with olive oil spray. Toss. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Toss again.
- Lay half of the asparagus in the air fryer, do not crowd the basket. Set the timer for three minutes at 400 degrees. Check when there is 30 seconds left. The ends will be crispy and the stems will be bright green and slightly crisp still. If you would like them cooked a little bit more, cook the remaining 30 seconds. Repeat for remaining asparagus.
- Zest the lemon over the asparagus, squeeze the lemon juice on top. Toss one more time. Serve!