Tender, flavor-packed meatballs are sliced and layered with fresh mozzarella, parmesan cheese and a spaghetti and a meatball-inspired marinara sauce, in the Best Meatball Pizza Recipe. Topped with a fresh dusting of parmesan cheese, this simple pizza will become a new favorite! Perfect for leftover meatballs!
I can’t get enough of this. And I’m sure you won’t be able to either, so be SURE to check out our recipe for The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs There Ever Was (where the meatballs from this recipe come from), this Pizza Margherita Grilled Cheese, and this Best Pepperoni and Bacon Pizza.
Do you ever become completely, inexplicably in love with something food related? Something you could eat every single day for the rest of eternity and be completely at peace?
I have several, but hands down, the food I basically lose sleep over at night, are meatballs.
I love them. Any kind really. Beef, pork, chicken – they all have a space in my heart. But! If I have to chose the equivalent of a soul mate in my meatball world, it’s hands-down, the classic version. Beef and Italian sausage, packed with crushed saltine crackers, lots of parmesan, spices, garlic, and pan-fried until irresistibly crusty and brown.
Meatballs – they go with everything!
Even after they’ve made their appearance in the more classic vessel of spaghetti and meatballs, I find ways to transform them into something I can eat for days on end. These Meatball Sliders are a favorite, but I’ve also been known to throw them in a lasagna-inspired soup, or obviously, nestled into hoagies, and smothered with mozzarella for a take on a meatball sub.
Here’s the thing. This pizza is SO good. But it’s superiority to any other pizza pie comes from the following:
- a pizza stone
- screaming hot oven (550 degrees or however high yours will go)
- simple, homemade sauce (tomato paste, water, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and oregano)
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- ONLY the best meatballs (<– this is numero uno)
Because our perfect meatballs, basically make this pizza, I highly recommend using them as opposed to any other meatball recipe, or store-bought. However, if you’re in a pinch, or already have a different version of meatballs leftover and ready to use, go for it.
How to make The Best Meatball Pizza Recipe
- Start with a quality pizza crust
- Stretch your pizza dough with your hands instead of rolling it. (Love this tutorial.)
- Form dough on a well floured pizza peel. We love this one
- As you stretch the pizza dough into your desired shape, move the dough around to ensure it will slide off easily.
- Don’t over sauce! This was always my mistake. You don’t want the pizza weighed down by its ingredients. Less is more. Always.
- Once the dough is evenly covered in sauce, layer the cheese and meatball slices. I like to put a layer of meatballs down, followed by a layer of cheese, then repeat. This way, there are some meatballs that get covered in cheese, and some that are resting on top of the cheese.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Slide into the oven!
I’ve gone into detail on how to achieve the most perfect pizzeria-style pizza in this post, so be sure to check it out. Surprisingly, there are a lot of ways you can go wrong when making pizza, but if you follow our tips and tricks, you will have restaurant-quality pizza every time. Promise.
Pretty things/Tools Used in Today’s Post
What to serve with Best Meatball Pizza
- Everyday Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Chopped Tuscan Salad (From the salad bar!)
- Citrus Salad with Goat Cheese Croquettes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb pizza dough (I got mine from Whole Foods, waited a day to bake it and it was PERFECTLY chewy and delicious)
- 4 large meatballs from The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Put pizza stone into oven. Preheat to 550 degrees. Let stone heat up for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and sugar to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Slice meatballs into 1/8-inch slices
- Stretch pizza dough out with hands into a 14-inch circle or equal rectangle on a well floured pizza peel. Make sure to move the dough around frequently to ensure it slides off the board easily. Add more flour if necessary.
- Spread pizza dough with marinara/pizza sauce. Scatter half of the meatballs slices over the sauce and dough. Scatter half of the mozzarella around. Repeat. Season with a little bit of salt. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Slice pizza off of peel and on to pizza stone. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are crisp and brown, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cool for a few minutes before slicing and garnish with extra parmesan cheese.
While you can use your own meatballs or store-bought, I HIGHLY recommend using the meatballs from our recipe The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs there ever was. The meatballs are the PERFECT consistency, so flavorful, and you'll be glad you made them! Make spaghetti and meatballs the night before, then this the next day!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 609mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g