5-Ingredient Roasted Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta is such an easy, delicious dish that utilizes some of summer’s best gifts. Roast the veggies, cook the pasta, and then toss everything together and serve.
5-Ingredient Roasted Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta
If I can find a dish that’s healthy, packed with summer produce, has a little bit of protein for the hubs, copious amounts of pesto for me, and PASTA for all of us, well, I’m all in.
And I am ALL in on this 5-Ingredient Roasted Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta.
Kind of a mouthful? And also, admittedly, kind of a lie. But just a little white lie. Because at the end of the day, this recipe is six ingredients.
- olive oil
- chicken sausage
- whole-wheat penne
In the winter, I’m all about a store-bought pesto, obviously. But this time of year, my garden is overflowing with basil, so I always have homemade pesto on hand. If you’re lucky like me, then trust me, and skip the store-bought pesto for this recipe, and make this easy fool-proof pesto. I know it’s an extra few ingredients, but it’s SO easy, and packed with just a little bit more lemon and parmesan than your typical basil pesto, which I love here. If you do use store-bought, this is my favorite brand!
How to make 5-Ingredient Roasted Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta
- Toss chopped zucchini, eggplant, and chicken sausage with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown and soft.Â
- Cook whole-wheat pasta until aldente. Save 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water.Â
- Add cooked pasta, cooked veggies, pesto, and pasta water to a bowl. Toss until combined. Add more pasta water if necessary. Add more cheese, because we both know you want to. :)Â
- Serve with fresh basil. Done!Â
How to roast veggies
- Make sure the veggies are spread on an even layer. You don’t want to crowd the pan or they will steam. If necessary, use two pans.
- Use plenty of olive oil to coat the veggies.
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roast at a hight temperature, I usually like to go with 400 degrees.
- Use a spatula to flip about 3/4 of the way through cooking to make sure both sides get an even color. .
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Adding everything together when it’s very hot is key, you want the pasta to soak up as much of the sauce as possible.
- I like my pesto heavy on the parmesan, so if you’re using store-bought, you may want to add more parm to your pasta. If you do, be sure to have extra starchy pasta water on hand.
- Swap out any of the veggies for what’s in season. Corn, tomatoes, yellow squash, or Brussels sprouts would all be lovely. Butternut or acorn squash in the winter would be delicious.
- Same goes for the chicken sausage. If you want to use Italian sausage, go for it. If you want to cut up pieces of chicken breast, that will work too.
5-Ingredient Roasted Summer Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta
5-Ingredient Roasted Summer Veggie and Chicken Sausage Pasta is an easy, healthy way to use up all of those summer veggies! Comes together in 30 minutes!
- 2 cups chopped eggpland
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 italian chicken sausage links, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat penne
- 1/4 cup pesto
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling bowl. Season liberally salt.
Add veggies and sausage to a medium bowl. Drizzle in olive oil, toss until coated. Sprinkle in salt, a little bit of pepper and toss until coated. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes, use a spatual to flip the veggies and sausage and cook another 5 minutes until softened and caramelized. If nedded, spread veggies on to two pan to avoid crowding.
Cook pasta until aldente. Rerserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain pasta. Add pasta back to the pot along with veggies, sausage, pesto and pasta water. Toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe inspired by Pinch of Yum.