These Loaded Nacho Sliders are covered in an easy homemade queso, crushed tortilla chips, and all your favorite nacho toppings. The patty is packed with chili powder, cumin, onion and plenty of garlic. They’re the perfect party food!
Would you believe me if I said I used to not be a nacho girl? Up until a few years ago, I don’t think I’d ever ordered a plate of nachos off of a menu. And if someone else at the table ordered them, I wasn’t even tempted to take a bite. Call me crazy, but they just weren’t my thing. I trace it back to my first job when I saw where that nacho cheese you get at sporting events really comes from – a big giant can of sticky goo. Disgusting. I was pretty much scarred for life.
I actually found out what a REAL plate of nachos should really taste and look like: Layers of crispy chips topped with real shredded cheese, an addictive homemade cheese sauce, spicy chicken, black olives, green onions, tomatoes, beans – basically the works.
Today, we have another version – all of the best flavors of nachos, piled onto a seasoned beef patty and served slider-style.
You could really use any type of cheese in the queso, but I love the way pepper jack melts, and of course, I love the kick of spice it has in it, so that’s what I went with. Just as most cheese sauces are composed, this one starts off with a béchamel of sorts and then the cheese is slowly whisked in until it’s the perfect consistence. A quick seasoning of salt and pepper finishes it off.
Now, because there are not hard-and-fast rules when it comes to nachos, you could really use any toppings you want. I kept these guys pretty true to a classic version of nachos with chopped tomatoes, sliced green onion, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.
Whatever floats your boat.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 8 whole-wheat (or whatever you prefer!) slider buns, toasted
- chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, jalapeños, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips
- small saucepan
- sheet pan
- For the burgers: Add ground beef, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, garlic, and onion to a medium bowl. Mix mixture just until combined. Form into 8 patties.
- Make the queso: Add butter to a small saucepan. Turn the heat on medium and once butter has melted, whisk in flour. Cook for 30 seconds. Turn the heat on low, and slowly whisk in milk. Bring the mixture up to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Once thickened, turn the heat off and slowly whisk in shredded cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm while the burgers cook.
- While the sauce thickens, heat a cast-iron skillet to a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the burger patties and cook until seared, about 3-4 minutes for medium.
- To assemble. Place patties on buns, cover with queso and then top with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, jalapenos and crushed tortilla chips.