These Mini Lamb Burgers with Dill Greek Yogurt taste like a classic Greek gyro in bite-sized form. Crispy patties of ground lamb are nestled into mini pita pockets, stuffed with sliced cucumbers, and drowned in an easy dill and lemon-infused Greek yogurt. The perfect Mediterranean bite!
I have a serious passion for all things gyro, so I want to make sure you check out our Chicken Gyro Lettuce Wraps, this Chicken Gyro Salad, and these Healthy Chicken Gyros.
Mini Lamb Burgers with Dill Greek Yogurt
I’d like to think it’s my mediterranean roots that keep me coming back to the perfect combination of lamb + rosemary + oregano + tangy dill yogurt, but it’s likely just one of those flavor profiles anyone would fall in love with. There’s something incredibly savory and earthy about rich lamb infused with garlic and peppered with rosemary and oregano, and I just can’t get enough of it.
If these flavors sound familiar, they should. At its core these mini burgers are basically gyros in disguise. Except instead of slow-roasting the meat on a rotisserie, I used ground lamb, all of the other traditional flavors, and then formed them into the most adorable little patties that nestle perfectly into teeny tiny pita pockets.
In between the soft pillowy pita and lamb patties, is a simplified version of my favorite tzatziki made with Greek yogurt, a little bit of lemon juice, and dried dill. If throwing those three ingredients together is too much work (umm please tell me it isn’t), you’re free to buy some store-bought tzatziki sauce.
Each bite-sized gyro is finished off simply with a layer of thinly sliced cucumber, but a little bit of chopped tomato or romaine is a no-brainer addition. Also, if you’re feeling little bit extra, I might suggest stuffing a few crispy, salty frozen French fries into the mix. It’s what they do in Greece, just sayin’.
How to make Mini Lamb Burgers with Dill Greek Yogurt
- Add ground lamb, spices, garlic, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and Greek yogurt to a big bowl. Use your hands or a fork to mix the ingredients until combined. Be sure to not over mix! Over mixing = tough meatballs.
- Form the mixture into small patties. (I like to use a small ice cream scoop.) Flatten as much as you can, you want them, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Heat a large non-stick griddle or cast-iron skillet to a medium-high heat. Once the pan is very hot, add a little bit of olive oil. Sear the patties until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Because I’m all about multitasking, make the yogurt sauce while the burgers cook. Add the yogurt, dill, and lemon juice to a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut a slit in each mini pita and nestle patties in. Layer cucumbers on top. Dollop with sauce. Garnish with more dill.
What do I cook the patties on?
I like for the patties to get super crispy, so I only use a non-stick griddle pan, like this one, or a big cast-iron skillet. I actually prefer the griddle pan, because I can cook them all at once! So easy. I also use it ALL THE TIME for pancakes, eggs, bacon, other burgers, basically anything I want to cook in a large batch or want a great sear on.
What if I can’t find mini pitas?
So. I had this problem. My local store ALWAYS has them, and this particular day, they didn’t. So I actually just made them myself! It was SUPER easy, and I used this recipe.
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- I love that lamb mimics the taste of a classic gyro, but if it’s not your thing, ground beef, turkey, or chicken will also work. If you do use chicken or turkey, just make sure to not overcook!
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped romaine or even French fries (like a gyro from Greece).
- Make sure your griddle is super hot, you really want a nice crispy sear on each patty.
- If you like a little zip, add a little bit of raw grated garlic to the dill sauce.
What to serve with Mini Lamb Burgers
Tools/Pretty things used in today’s post
Mini Lamb Burgers with Dill Greek Yogurt
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 2 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1/4 small onion, grated
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 5 1/2 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 15 mini pitas
- Add lamb, rosemary, oregano, garlic, onion, salt, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, and 1 teaspoon olive oil to a large bowl. Mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Form into 15 thin patties.
- Heat a large griddle or cast-iron skillet to a medium-high heat, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Add patties to the griddle or skillet, use a spatula to flatten the patties as much as your can. Cook until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- While the patties cook, add the Greek yogurt, dill and lemon juice to a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut a slit in each pita wide enough to fit patties in. Stuff cooked patties in the pita, spoon a little bit of dill sauce in and layer cucumbers on top. Garnish with more dried dill.
Leave a Comment