Crispy French bread doused in BBQ sauce, crisp veggies, gooey mozzarella and homemade peanut sauce are the makings of our weeknight worthy Thai Chicken Pizzas.
Thai Chicken Pizza
Even though I cook for a living, most days when the working day is over I still want/have to get dinner on the table for my family. Because as much as I’d love to cook healthy chicken piccata, chicken spaghetti or spaghetti and meatballs some days are full of cinnamon rolls, pancakes and cookies.
When it comes to dinner after cooking all day there are some rules:
- The dinner must not require every single kitchen utensil in my arsenal
- It needs to get from infancy to our dinner table in 45 minutes or less
Thai Chicken French Bread Pizzas are the perfect easy weeknight meal, enveloping both of my rules and classifying as pretty darn healthy with an abundance of veggies, low-fat cheese and plenty of protein in the form of grilled chicken.
Of course as the title implies, we begin with a whole loaf of crusty French bread, the perfect vessel in lieu of notoriously finicky pizza dough. The loaf is split, cut into four, and the insides are removed to accommodate more toppings without toppling over, while simultaneously convincing me that each pizza is practically carb-free.
The base is smothered in our favorite barbecue sauce and stuffed to the brim with shredded carrots, green onions, red peppers, grilled chicken and plenty of chopped broccoli I zap in the microwave for a few seconds to ensure it cooks at the same pace as the other veggies in the oven. Mozzarella cheese is intertwined between the filling and then sprinkled on top to ensure each bite has the perfect ratio of veggies to cheese. They’re all popped into the oven until the cheese is melted, the bread is crisp and the veggies are slightly charred.
Ingredients in Thai Chicken Pizza.
Bread. We use crusty French bread but a whole wheat baguette would also work great.
BBQ Sauce. Use your favorite! I like to use something with quite a bit of spice if it’s just for Kevin and I and a sweet, tangy sauce when the kids are eating it as well.
Chicken. Use any cooked chicken. It’s a great way to use leftover baked or grilled chicken but rotisserie chicken works great as well.
Veggies. Thinly sliced red bell pepper, shredded carrot and finely chopped broccoli.
Cheese. I like to use a low-fat mozzarella but pepper jack would be a great substitute.
Peanut sauce. We use our three-ingredient peanut sauce which is SO easy to make but if you must, you can use store-bought.
How to make Chicken Thai Pizza
Steam the broccoli. Place broccoli in microwave safe bowl, add in water, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
Prep the bread. Hollow out bread and brush the bottom with ¼ cup barbecue sauce.
Prep the veggies and chicken. Toss broccoli, red peppers, green onion, carrots and chicken together in a medium bowl.
Assemble. Place one layer of filling in the bottom of each french bread pizza. Top with a little bit of cheese. Spoon remaining filling onto each pizza. Evenly top with remaining cheese.
Bake. Bake until cheese is melted, bread is crisp and veggies are slightly charred.
Make the peanut sauce. Blend all ingredients in mini food processor or blender. Chill.
Finish! Drizzle with peanut sauce, garnish with chopped peanut and sliced green onions.
Once the pizzas come out, each one is smothered in my favorite homemade peanut sauce, sprinkled with chopped peanuts, sliced green onions and ready to be devoured.
Can I make Thai chicken pizza in advance?
No, however you can prep everything in advance so all you have to do is assemble and bake.
- Feel free to use store-bought peanut sauce (even though I think ours is the best.)
- Swap out your fav veggies. Sliced bok choy or mushrooms would be great additions.
- For a vegetarian Thai pizza, leave out the chicken
- Crispy tofu would be a great addition
Tips and Tricks
- To prevent the bottom from getting soggy, toast the bread for a few minutes in the oven while you prep the rest of the veggies and chicken.
- If you don’t mind crunchy broccoli you can skip cooking the broccoli to put it directly on the pizzaaa
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 cup favorite bbq sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup cooked chopped chicken
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 batch homemade (see below), three ingredient or store bought peanut sauce
- chopped peanut for garnish
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sweet chilii sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1-3 tsp water for thinning
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 mini food processor
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Place broccoli in microwave safe bowl, add in 1 tablespoon water, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
- Slice bread in half horizontally. Hollow out the bread on both sides. Make sure you don't take out too much, as you want a solid bottom. Brush the bottom with ¼ cup barbecue sauce.
- Toss broccoli, red peppers, green onion, carrots and chicken together in a medium bowl.
- Place 1/4 of the filling in to each half of bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a little bit of cheese. Spoon remaining filling evenly onto each pizza. Evenly top with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, bread is crisp and veggies are slightly charred.
- While the pizzas bake, make the sauce. Add all peanut sauce ingredients to a mini food processor. Blend until smooth. Add water to thin out as necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the pizzas with peanut sauce, garnish with chopped peanuts and sliced green onions.